Yes, essential oils come from nature, but that does not mean they are safe if used incorrectly. After many of hours of classes I am more cautious of essential oils than before taking classes.
I found this information sheet and have permission to reprint and post and would like to share this for all who ask about taking essential oils orally.
WHY WE DO NOT RECOMMEND ORAL INTAKE OF ESSENTIAL OILS
If you decide to take essential oils orally, we highly suggest you first consult with an experienced, Certified Clinical Aromatherapist. Ask the people who are suggesting this where they received their Aromatherapy education and how long they have been practicing. You also need to know what benefits they are seeking by having you take these orally.
1. Essential oils are highly concentrated plant products. (example: it takes about 100 pounds of rosemary leaves to make 1 pound of rosemary essential oil) Due to this concentration there are specific cautions that need to be taken prior to use of essential oil in any form.
2. Essential oils do not blend with water. A drop in a glass of water does not dilute the essential oil.
3. Some essential oils are mucous membrane irritants and can potential damage the entire mucus membrane lining of the digestive system .
4. Ingested essential oils are altered by stomach acid and can have an impact on the proper level of digestive juices.
5. Ingested essential oils reach the liver very quickly and can alter liver enzymes. One needs to know which essential oils can be ingested and for what benefit. Is your liver healthy enough to handle this?
6. Putting an undiluted drop in a capsule can be dangerous. Capsules can break down and undiluted oils can be released in the esophagus and cause a chemical burn.
7. DO NOT EVER have a child ingest an essential oil. The same is true for elderly and frail people.
IF YOU STILL WISH TO TAKE ESSENTIAL OILS ORALLY:
Make sure the oil you are using is safe for oral consumption
Oils and water do not mix. Putting a drop of essential oil in a teaspoon of honey, stir into a glass of water - the oils will be disseminated into the water .
For capsules: Fill larger side of the capsule with olive oil, leaving just enough space to add a drop of essential oil. Put capsule together and take immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Amber, at Botanically Rooted https://botanicallyrooted.com